… With Storage Solution’s Full Bed Carton Flow
More SKUs, changing carton sizes and limited space – 3 challenges our customers bring to our carton flow testing lab every day. This leading technologies company was no exception, however they had a couple more hurdles for us to tackle. Not only did they need a way to accommodate more SKUs, but we also had to find the best system to handle their lightweight, oblong and shrink wrapped (slippery) boxes. No problem…
- Expanded product line = more SKUs to accommodate
- Varying box sizes
- Shrink wrapped (slippery) surface
- Lightweight product
The obvious choice for initial testing was carton flow; its full shelf width and dense wheel pattern easily accommodate a variety of changing SKUs. The boxes flowed well lying flat, however our job was to get more SKUs at the pick face. We reoriented the box to its standing position to allow 3 additional cartons per shelf. By doing so, however, we also eliminated about two-thirds of the surface area. This is where more testing came in to ensure that the taller boxes flowed consistently, didn’t tip over or veer out of their lane. The solution added the potential for 240 additional SKUs per bay.
- Boxes 8 7/8” x 8 1/4” x 3 3/16” with approx. 0.9 lbs. of weight evenly distributed inside
- 3 3/16” width and 8 1/4” depth
- Dyna-Flo 2” centers
- 1 ¼” per foot pitch
- 12” and 16” wide sections both tested positively
- Flip cartons up (vs. lying flat on track) gains space for 3 additional SKUs per shelf level
- Full shelf carton flow with 2” centers.
- 3 SKUs per shelf x 4 levels per bay x 20 bays = 240 total SKUs per module
The benefits of the full bed carton flow system are perfectly aligned with the needs of customers looking to add pick face SKUs. The dense wheel pattern allowed us to be able to reorient the boxes to flow despite the limited surface area and the package design challenges. The full wheel bed provides flexibility in the warehouse for changing SKUs as the product line or pick demands change.
If you have a warehousing question or problem, bring it to the experts. Our in-house testing lab is the best place to quickly and economically examine several options of package and carton flow with varying wheels and wheel patterns… plus our engineers love a challenge. Give us a call.